[plt-scheme] Are new Schemers supposed to be reading SRFIs?

From: Jens Axel Søgaard (jensaxel at soegaard.net)
Date: Fri May 11 07:09:11 EDT 2007

Grant Rettke skrev:
> Today I read some code that used the 'any' function from SRFI-1.
> Taking a look at SRFI-1, I found that there are some nifty functions
> in there.

If you are reading code and want to know what a specific
function do, then:

    1) Click the "Check Syntax" button in DrScheme
    2) Place the cursor on top of the function
    3) Press F1

The HelpDesk will now find the function. All srfis supported
by PLT Scheme is included in the HelpDesk.

 > Is it my responsibility to read the SRFIs just to know what is
 > possible?

You can read all srfis, but here is a cheat list of the most
commonly used in the PLT Scheme world:

   SRFI 1   (lists)
   SRFI 13  (strings)
   SRFI 19  (time and date)

Also in use:

   SRFI 14  (characters)
   SRFI 27  (random numbers)
   SRFI 42  (eager comprehensions)
   SRFI 43  (vectors)

Seen, but not often:

   SRFI 26  (cut - specialiazing)
   SRFI 67  (compare procedures)

Most of the other stuff is already supported one way or another
in PLT Scheme.

--
Jens Axel Søgaard