[plt-scheme] Are new Schemers supposed to be reading SRFIs?

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Thu May 10 16:22:36 EDT 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 1:16 PM, Grant Rettke wrote:

> One reaction to this phenomenon is to create a Scheme "distribution".
> It sounds like over time, everyone does create their own composed of
> other folks stuff and things that they have tweaked to their liking or
> written themselves.
>
> Is it better to have "distribution X", so that perhaps more folks
> would be writing more code against it, and functions would have
> helpful naming and stuff would "just work".
>
> Planet is great, but having to go to Planet to dig up a library also
> sort of sucks. I would be happier if said library got the blessing of
> the distribution.

Can you elaborate on "sort of sucks"?  It appears to me that Planet
solves the distribution problem nicely, in that you can write your
code against a distribution + a planet lib, send it out to anyone,
and it runs on their platform, albeit with a possible silent
download.  Is it this silent download that you object to? Or the
untrusted nature of the library?

That is, I don't see the problem as one of getting the code out;
rather, I see the central problem (as you observed earlier) simply
being the one of "how do I know about everything that's out there"?

John Clements