[plt-scheme] Is plt-scheme appropriate for applications that usecurrency?

From: jos koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Mon May 7 16:21:13 EDT 2007

In my opinion, Scheme provides a very good numerical system. May be this can help you:

(module currency->string mzscheme

 (read-decimal-as-inexact #f)

 (define (currency->string x)
  (let-values
   (((integer-part fraction)
     (quotient/remainder (* 100 x) 100)))
   (string-append
    (number->string integer-part)
    "."
    (number->string fraction))))

 (provide currency->string))

(module use-currency->string mzscheme
 (require currency->string)
 (display (let ((p (open-input-string "10.22"))) (currency->string (read p)))))

(require use-currency->string) ; displays 10.22

With respect to currencies make sure to use arithmetic functions that produce exact values when given exact arguments. E.g: +, -, *,
/ and expt are ok, but sqrt and log are not (in this context) You may want to read the introduction on numbers in R5RS and to take
notice of the distinction between exact and inexact numbers.

Best wishes, Jos Koot