[plt-scheme] Project Euler

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat May 5 19:03:15 EDT 2007

On May 5, 2007, at 5:45 PM, Richard Cleis wrote:

>> [... snip]
>
>>> After all, programs are mathematical constructs (which happen to
>>> execute) built by people. The building of programs requires some
>>> mathematical understanding even if the writer does not realize
>>> it. Perhaps, it is time to think of mathematics as programming.
>>> Now, that would be a cool paradigm shift!
>>
>> We have worked on this shift for 12 years. See "rebels with a
>> cause" for example.
>>
>> My first NSF proposal on TS!/PLT was "replacing mathematics with
>> programming." You can imagine where that got me then
>

> What is "Rebels with a Cause?"  My Google searches are hammered
> with a Hacktivism book.

Try "matthias felleisen rebel with a cause". It's an article in
Thomson's quarterly magazine on what I tried to do.

> How literal is the phrase "replacing mathematics with programming?"

Nearly literal. The goal would be to bring across the idea of a
FUNCTION, the central concept of high school mathematics, without
violating the central tenet of mathematics, and yet increasing its
value to students.

> Regarding students who are afraid of mathematics...  What is the
> reason that they study computer science?

I wasn't speaking of students who have chosen to study programming
but of students who are (forced to) taking mathematics courses. I
think FUNCTIONAL programming could help these kids understand so much
more about mathematics and especially functions and word problems.

I have many times considered rewriting a mathematical text book from
algebra or even geometry in FP/Scheme (with appropriate teachpacks).
I don't have the time.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.