[plt-scheme] Wake on Lan in Scheme

From: Geoffrey S. Knauth (geoff at knauth.org)
Date: Tue May 1 16:35:12 EDT 2007

On May 1, 2007, at 16:11, geb a wrote:
> Since the machine is not on , it doesn't yet have an
> ip-address so what do I send the msg to - a machine address?

Send it to the broadcast address for the subnet you're on.

Suppose you're on an Internet Protocol (IP) subnet 192.168.1.0/24
[1].  Then your subnet mask would be 255.255.255.0, and your
broadcast IP address would be 192.168.1.255.  You would send your
packet to 192.168.1.255, and every machine on your IP subnet would
see it, but only the machine with the matching MAC address ("ethernet
address") in the packet's payload would react.

MAC addresses are hardwired into network cards.  IP addresses are
configured.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnetwork

Posted on the users mailing list.