[plt-scheme] web programming, continuation, CPS transform, etc.

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Tue May 1 10:59:44 EDT 2007

> > My take is that continuations are more about capturing state and
> > making the program easier to understand. AJAX achieves neither of
> > these goals, in fact, quite the opposite!
>
> AJAX programming is two-tier programming. The client tier is about re-
> actions to external events. The server tier supports persistency and
> outside pages. Continuations -- which capture control and NO state at
> all (see the research lit) -- are about facilitating the server
> switching pages. The client tier makes it less necessary to switch
> pages; instead local updates to pages are computed. -- Matthias

I had read that continuations allow you to maintain state so you can
do things like write web based tasks as flows where you can easily use
the back button to go back to a previous state.  This is what nearly
every article on continuation based web servers that I have read have
reflected, but then again, I've never done it myself, so I couldn't
make an authoritative statement on this one.

Your take on AJAX programming is interesting. Would you say that AJAX
makes web development easier, then?

Posted on the users mailing list.