[plt-scheme] language levels in PLT

From: Jens Axel Søgaard (jensaxel at soegaard.net)
Date: Sun Mar 18 06:52:57 EDT 2007

Yin-So Chen skrev:
> Hi PLT/scheme gurus -
>
> I just discovered the wonderful world of PLT and I have some newbie
> questions with regards to PLT - I did search for answers first so
> hopefully I didn't miss the obvious ;)
>
> 1) What is an appropriate language pack for an experienced programmer?
> I've heard Pretty Big is what most experienced programmers need.  My
> question is - is Pretty Big necessary for web programming or would
> Textual suffice?  It seems that Pretty Big also includes GUI stuffs
> which are unneeded for web programming.

Pretty Big is Textual plus GUI and a few extensions from the teaching
languages.

> 2) What is the language level Swindle?

I'll leave that one for Eli.

> 3) How can I explicitly add the language features programmatically?
> i.e., can I do something similar to (require (lib "pretty-big")) to add
> language/library constructs manually outside of DrScheme?

Yes, use the lang-library.

(module a-module-name (lib "plt-pretty-big-text.ss)
   <your code here>)

Here is a precise description of Pretty Big:

  * plt-pretty-big-text.ss - provides MzScheme plus the
    following MzLib libraries: etc.ss, file.ss, list.ss,
    class.ss, unit.ss, include.ss, defmacro.ss,
    pretty.ss, string.ss, thread.ss, math.ss, match.ss, and
    shared.ss. It also provides the posn, color, and image
    functions of Beginning Student.

  * plt-pretty-big.ss - provides plt-pretty-big-text.ss
     plus the MrEd classes. This corresponds to the
     _Pretty Big Scheme_ language in DrScheme.

Documentation:
<http://svn.plt-scheme.org/plt/trunk/collects/lang/doc.txt>

--
Jens Axel Søgaard