[plt-scheme] Re: DrScheme Faster on Powerset than MzScheme - Why?

From: Kyle Smith (airfoil at bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu Mar 15 23:25:17 EDT 2007

Robby Findler <robby at ...> writes:

> > > Was debugging enabled in the drscheme run?
> >
> > I don't know -- I used Kyle's numbers.
>
> Yes, sorry: that was a question for Kyle.
>
> Robby

Thanks for looking at this.  First to Robby's question.  I ran it with and
without debugging and with and without it being compiled to .zo.  But, I didn't
notice any significant change in times.   The numbers I posted were from my XP
box, and they are consistent.  I just ran the same test on my Mac Pro box, and
mzscheme was consistently ~200ms quicker than DrScheme (all times faster than
on the XP box.)  I never got the results that Jon got, where running (go)
several times made any difference.

So the issue is with my XP box.  That will teach me to stop using it and
always run my benchmarks on my more consistent, well behaved, and faster OS X
machine.  It's strange though, because both machines are dual 3.0GHz Xeon
boxes with 4GB of memory, so you'ld expect to see similar results.  But since
I can only make it happen on a single machine it has to be something with the
way the XP system is handling the heap I would suspect.

I appreciate all of your input.  I think we can safely say this is a machine
specific anomally.

Thanks,

--kyle
airfoil at bellsouth dot com