[plt-scheme] Unix domain sockets

From: Jamie Briggs (jamie.briggs at shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 15 01:25:34 EDT 2007

On 14-Mar-07, at 5:04 PM, Robby Findler wrote:

> While it doesn't support the full, complicated sockets interface, it
> does support network communication; would that work for you?

The problem with using ordinary sockets is that socket numbers are
a very limited global "namespace".  This is workable if you are
running one server
on a box and it has a known port number associated with it.  But if
you are
building process "groups" on a machine you might want to start any
number of
messaging hubs to service different groups.

This means having to choose and check a new port number to see if it
is in use every
time a new messaging hub is started.  Using Unix domain sockets you
avoid the problem
as the sockets are identified with filesystem paths rather than port
numbers.  The only
downside is that the system isn't usable under Windows without
something like
Cygwin but for my application it doesn't matter.

- Jamie

Posted on the users mailing list.