[plt-scheme] License question

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Fri Mar 9 23:22:30 EST 2007

On Mar 8, 2007, at 3:11 PM, Greg Johnston wrote:

> I'd like to use PLT Scheme in a commercial application. I know that
> PLT Scheme is licensed under the LGPL, so I should be able to link to
> it without releasing my own source code (which I would prefer).
> However, I know that (require)'d libraries are automatically
> incorporated into the executable.
>
> Is there a way to either
> a) Have all libraries and collects be dynamically rather than
> statically linked, which is completely legal under the LGPL, or
> b) ...Some other way to release a proprietary commercial
> application using PLT?

I don't see a response on the list, so perhaps others were also
confused by your message.  Are you suggesting that the automatic
inclusion of (require)'d libraries into the executable renders your
code a part of the executable and therefore that the LGPL requires
you to distribute it?  My understanding (I'm approximately 25%
certain of this) is that this is not the case (though it might be
with the "real" GPL), and that you're free to distribute an
executable that includes your compiled code along with the DrScheme
compiled code _without_ making your source code freely accessible.

Again: LGPL != GPL.  But you knew that already, right?

IANAL, etc...

John Clements