[plt-scheme] let-values/invoke-unit?

From: Ryan Culpepper (ryan_sml at yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 8 18:30:19 EST 2007

--- "Paulo J. Matos" <pocm at soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Now, I have two options. Either I import in to the units a
> register function which registers the printer and the unit
> is responsible for installing the printer, or I export from the
> unit the printer function and I install in my hash-table.
> The latter seems cleaner since the unit should not need to
> register the function, it's only job is to provide a printer.
> However, the latter requires (I think)  a let-values/invoke-unit,
> since it would seem pretty nice to have. It seems there is no
> such function and define-values/invoke-unit does suit my need
> because I don't want to the define the export values in the
> top-level, I want to capture them in a variable and then
> register them.
>
> Any suggestions? I guess it is possible to do
> let-values/invoke-unit (at least emulate its behaviour).
> I guess I might do this by defining a compound unit from the
> plugin and a register unit which registers the imports from
> the plugin but I would like some comments on this.
> Is this the way to go?

You can use 'define-values/invoke-unit' as an internal definition,
like this:

(let ()
  (define-values/invoke-unit my-unit@ (import sig1^) (export sig2^))
  do-some-things)

In fact, you can write 'let-values/invoke-unit' as a macro yourself,
in terms of internal 'define-values/invoke-unit'. Here's how it would
look, using a syntax I just made up:

(define-syntax let-values/invoke-unit
  (syntax-rules ()
    [(let-values/invoke-unit ((sig ...) unit-expr import-sig ...) .
body)
     (let ()
       (define-values/invoke-unit unit-expr
         (import import-sig ...)