[plt-scheme] Macros in other programming languages?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 27 08:03:21 EDT 2007

Nah, no lynching around here. We qualify our strong statements.

The word macro has been in use since the 1950s at least, according to
Eugene's excellent historical chapter in his dissertation. (Where are
these chapters nowadays?)

Macro in assembly languages. Macros as string preprocessors in a
number of languages, including C (which is not a first and not a
last). Macros as S-expressions. Macros as an interface to
compilation, with partially obvious temporary properties. (Eh, you
want it when?) Macros as combinators for parser extensions. And I am
probably overlooking a few practical cases, not to speak of
theoretical non-starters (I know of at least one).

-- Matthias