[plt-scheme] EOPL pre-requisites?

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Tue Jun 19 21:46:29 EDT 2007

Shriram (in response to Grant Rettke) wrote:

 >> It looks like *the* book out there is Essentials of Programming
 >> Languages.

 > There are other players in town.  Let me not-so-humbly suggest that a
 > significant competitor is PLAI:

Having spent time with both recently, I would suggest that you (Grant)
start with PLAI, which has less of a steep starting curve. It overlaps
with EOPL but does not entirely replace it, so both are valuable. I have
been implementing some of the interpreters in PLAI using match.ss, which
has been a lot of fun, and quite instructive.

For preparation, I would suggest making sure that you can do the
exercises from the later chapters of HtDP (31-42) without breaking a
sweat. Some readings in TSPL would help, but are not absolutely
necessary. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.