[plt-scheme] dots

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Mon Jun 11 18:32:25 EDT 2007

Hi,
As far as | am concerned, there is no compelling reason. In fact the dot is not really needed. The records can be used as (a 'b) for field reference and (a 'b v) for assignment, where variable a is supposed to contain a record with a field called 'b. If this field contains another record, then descending in that record can be written like ((a ' b) 'c) for reference and ((a 'b) 'c v) for asignment. In fact a.b.c and (set! a.b.c v) are expanded to the forms without dots. You also could write (a (if test 'field-one 'field-two)). Personally I find a.b.c and (set! a.b.c v) a handsome notation. I'm afraid it's a matter of taste, may be bad taste to your taste.
Jos Koot