[plt-scheme] (typeof obj)

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Mon Jun 11 00:55:38 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
  From: YC
  To: Jos Koot ; PLT Scheme List ; Robert Nikander
  Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 12:47 AM
  Subject: Re: [plt-scheme] (typeof obj)

  This is something I wonder as well... given that internally Scheme *does know* about the type of a value, why isn't there a function that expose the information?  Type-based dispatching is after all a legitimate development technique.
I am not sure whether or not Scheme *does know* THE type of a value. I am sure the PLT team has more knowledge of that. My way of looking at it is that there are predicates that know whether or not a value satisfies them. Furthermore there is the question how far you want to go in specifying the type. Is a list of numbers simply a list or is it 'a list of numbers'? The number of predicates you may think of is unlimited.
Jos Koot
  Thanks,
  yinso