[plt-scheme] . nitpick .

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Sun Jun 10 21:35:01 EDT 2007

Grant Rettke wrote:
> We should expect that folks want to run r5rs with the addition of
> modules. Modules are one of the first things for which people will
> look when working with r5rs, and most distributions seem to include
> them.

My point was that if the goal is to experiment with R5RS features, to
find out how a plain R5RS implementation is supposed to behave, then the
R5RS language level is a good bet, and very easy to select.

Once you start adding non-R5RS features to the mix, like modules, you
should consider carefully what you're trying to achieve.  If you're
trying to write a portable application, you probably don't want to use
implementation-specific modules, for example.

I agree with Matt that, especially as someone new to Scheme, you're
better off picking an implementation and learning it reasonably well.
If you restrict yourself to R5RS or something close to it, you'll miss
out on a lot of important things.

Anton

> On 6/10/07, Anton van Straaten <anton at appsolutions.com> wrote:
>
>> Robby Findler wrote:
>> > But, just for the relative newcomers to PLT Scheme, it is probably
>> > better to just work with modules than namespaces.
>>
>> Or, if the goal is just to experiment in an R5RS environment, just
>> select "Standard (R5RS)" from the Language menu in DrScheme.

Posted on the users mailing list.