[plt-scheme] dots

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Sun Jun 10 12:43:42 EDT 2007

Hi,
Jens Axel Soegaard pointed me to the idea. Like he did, I first tried to do all
the work during expansion time. This is not possible however, as shown in an
earlier thread on this subject. The hard part was getting loose of my fixation
on expansion time solutions. Once I relaxed from this fixation, it was just a
matter of develloping the idea. Initially I made a simple module with none or
one super-type only, but then I saw that a relatively simple extension allows
derivation from more than one supertype. The drawback of transferring the main
part of the solution to run time is slower execution, of course.

I have to say that the module does not only add. It also strips: it prohibits
the use of variables containing periods. In the most recent version of the
module, all binding forms are adapted such as to refuse such variables (assuming
I did not forget some).  That may cause trouble when using libraries that
provide such variables (as a lucky circumstance, mzscheme does not (as at this
moment)) A one character change of the source code allows choosing another
character in stead of the period. The central idea is that when variables with
periods are prohibited, the dot notation appears to mzscheme as an undefined
variable and therefore is wrapped as (#%top . dot-notation). Redefining #%top
does the main part of the job during expansion. Syntaxes set! and set!-values
are redefined too, of course.
Hope this answers your question. Thanks for your interest.
Jos Koot
(http://www.telefonica.net/web2/koot/records.zip (40 kb, source code plus
documentation (msword)))