[plt-scheme] Application of PLT-Scheme

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 4 22:08:26 EDT 2007

This is neat!

Questions:

1. Did you implement AutoLisp via an interpreter or via a macro
translator from AutoLisp to PLT Scheme? We employed the latter
strategy for both Dracula and Typed Scheme and like it a lot. (I know
AutoLisp is dynamically scoped, so this latter would be challenging
for the border cases.)

2. Did you implement a language level in DrScheme for AutoLisp?

3. Did you need to interface with the AutoCAD graphics engine at all?

4. Do you use MysterX (COM) to connect to Excel?

5. Did you consider writing a translator from AutoLisp to PLT Scheme
so that your AutoLisp developers could read the target code and
develop in Scheme directly?

;; ---

Background: The AutoCAD people briefly considered PLT Scheme as a
replacement for AutoLisp in the late 90s. At the time, they claimed
that AutoLisp is the most widely used Lisp dialect with some
100,000,000 lines of code in circulation (kind of like Emacs Lisp).
But they realized that dynamic scope was extremely taxing and became
incomprehensible, especially because companies wishes to sell these
components and glue them together. They ended up moving into VB and
asked a small company from Penn to develop a lexically scope
alternative to the original AutoLisp. I don't know what happened.

-- Matthias