[plt-scheme] game libraries

From: Dave Griffiths (dave at pawfal.org)
Date: Wed Jul 4 08:54:22 EDT 2007

> On 7/3/07, Dave Griffiths <dave at pawfal.org> wrote:
>> I don't use allegro (I used to ages ago though), but I've been working
>> on
>> something like this with OpenGL for a while:
>> http://www.pawfal.org/fluxus/
>> Which is capable of making games like this:
>> http://www.pawfal.org/al-jazari/
>> I've recently added a lot more to the engine, such as shadow mapping,
>> skinning and skeletons for character animation.
>
>> The interesting part is how to present imperative graphics states to
>> Scheme nicely, I haven't yet figured out a nice way to do this - I'm
>> doing
>> some very non-functional things in my Scheme API, lots of state and side
>> effects.
>>
>> It would be good to discuss this with another Schemer! :)
>
> Dave, this is some very cool stuffs. I love al-jazari, by the way.
>
> I'll go ahead and speak for others on this list and suggest that if
> you have design questions about how to cross the
> stateful-to-<insert-paradigm-here> boundary in a graceful/elegant way,
> please ask away.
>
> I think, at some point in the past, I encountered impromptu, and was
> turned off by the editor/non-PLTness of the environment. Had I known
> you were building on PLT Scheme, I probably would have been playing
> with it long ago.

Thanks! The last release of fluxus was the first PLT version, so it's
quite new for this platform. It's a different idea to impromptu though I
think, as there isn't any audio code in fluxus - in things like aljazari
the sound is done with OSC network messages sent to another app.

cheers,

dave

Posted on the users mailing list.