[plt-scheme] Parentheses and color

From: Jean-Pierre Lozi (jean-pierre at lozi.org)
Date: Tue Jul 3 21:51:15 EDT 2007

> Jean-Pierre is saying that a DrScheme user has to move the cursor
> to a parenthesis to find out which one is matching. So the "mouse"
> part is just a "lingo" (kind of like typo, but in Hebrew English :).

That's exactly what I meant :)

> > But that's beside the point -- if you need colors to know where the
> > parens match, then something is wrong.  Having consistent indentation
> > means that you don't even need to look at the parenthesis.  (I think
> > that I could manage with all my parens being invisible.)

Indentation is useful when you write code. But sometimes, you have to
rewrite something within some code you already wrote (say, add a let
or a call/cc somewhere), and you don't want to reindent everything
just to close the right parenthesis (because you wouldn't even want to
re-read the code). You'd rather modify the code quickly, and then
reindent it automatically.

> Having said that, I second Eli's comment. I do use drscheme a lot.
> I have used it longer for everything for longer even than Robby,
> though I suspect he has now logged many more hours in it than I
> have.
>
> I hardly ever need to look at parentheses or move the cursor
> to the right point. If I do, it's to re-close parens, but that
> is it.
>
> You need to let parens become second nature, even in Dr. -- Matthias

Mmh... I'm not so sure. It's like saying some users are really quick
with vim+latex, so IDEs are useless. Isn't the point of a user
interface to fit both experienced and unexperienced users?

--
Jean-Pierre Lozi
http://www.lozi.org
mailto:jean-pierre at lozi.org