[plt-scheme] SQLite

From: Andrew Gwozdziewycz (apgwoz at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 31 07:04:16 EST 2007

On Jan 30, 2007, at 4:37 AM, Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema wrote:

> There must be something like ldconfig (like linux uses)
> for MacOS X. Otherwise, the OS itself would have to hardwire
> stuff and if I remember well, MacOSX is a derivative of
> (free)bsd?

MacOSX is NOT a derivative of freeBSD. OSX is built on top of
the Mach Microkernel, which allows "compatibility layers" to be
created on top of it. Therefore, OSX provides a FreeBSD
"compatibility layer" on top of the Mach Microkernel to take advantage
of POSIX standards.

This however does not always translate into correct results. For
instance
take a look at Amit Singh's challenge from 2005:
http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/challenge/result/ where it's discovered
that a kernel panic can occur by creating a mach_task which then creates
a new thread. However since the call wasn't created by exec() or fork
() an
important field is not set that tries to be referenced. It wasn't set
because
it can't be set because mach doesn't know how or why a layer above it
needs something like this set. It doesn't care, but "FreeBSD" of course
does.

--
Andrew Gwozdziewycz
apgwoz at gmail.com