[plt-scheme] boxes?

From: gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net (gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net)
Date: Tue Jan 23 19:54:00 EST 2007

The genesis of my original question was a combination of a misreading of a manual, and the observation that numbers and pairs just don't behave the same way:

> (define (test1 x)
    (set! x 4))
1
> (define (test2 x)
    (set-car! x 4))
> (define x '(1 1))
> (test2 x)
(4 1)

Intuitively, I suppose I want to think of (1 1) as a value, not as pointers to 1 and (). That being said, I realize I've written functions to modify lists many times, but it's just not that common to want to be able to emulate integer pointers (unluss you're building an interface to a C program, which is something I have yet to try.)

===
Gregory Woodhouse

"Mathematics is the science of patterns."
--Lynn Arthur Steen, 1988