[plt-scheme] language levels in drscheme

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Thu Jan 18 12:18:00 EST 2007

On Jan 17, 2007, at 4:56 PM, Corey Sweeney wrote:

> Hey danny.  That must not have come across right.  I'll try a
> differnt way.

Your initial e-mail suggested having language levels associated with
files.  I believe that the principal difficulty in implementing this
is the fact that there's not an obvious cross-platform file metadata
format.  Also, some users might be surprised when they open a new
file and it behaves in a "weird" way. Finally, I think it's not an
incredibly high-priority item; I just counted, and I count six
keystrokes in going from (module...) to pretty big, and four
keystrokes to go back again. Of course, this doesn't include the
irritation of forgetting to switch, and running the program only to
be told that you have more than one expression (or worse, simply
evaluating the module without opening it).

This is probably more of an issue for you than for most, because most
of your code is in the "pretty big" language; I suspect that for many
PLT users, nearly all of their code is in modules.

I think that Danny was suggesting that you throw _all_ of your code
in modules, wrapping the "pretty big" ones with (module <module-name>
(lib "pretty-big.ss" "lang") ...) (that's from memory, apologies for
any errors there).  Of course, there may be some reason why this
isn't possible for you.

Hope this helps ... to clarify the problem, at least.

Corrections Cheerfully Accepted (CCA),

John Clements