[plt-scheme] minor glitch in Lazy Scheme?

From: Keith Frost (keith.l.frost at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 15 16:54:41 EST 2007

On 1/13/07, Prabhakar Ragde <plragde at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> I was trying to look up the documentation for "read-line" and
> accidentally typed "readline" into the search box in Help Desk while
> accidentally being in Lazy Scheme instead of Pretty Big. What I got was
> an OS X "spinning pizza" and then a file save dialog box asking me where
> to put the "download", suggesting "results.ss". I cancelled that, set
> the language level properly, and everything worked fine. --PR
>
> (PS I like Lazy Scheme a lot -- it's going to let me explain lazy
> evaluation to my students, and let them play with it a bit, without my
> having to teach them Haskell.)

I've seen this error before, when the PLT web-server hangs trying to
run a servlet.  It seems to be an intermittent problem, and it would
take someone (perhaps on this list?) with detailed knowledge of the
internals of the web-server code to diagnose it.  For what it's worth,
I don't think it's Lazy Scheme, or even help-desk, related.  I've seen
it when I write buggy servlet code, but I've also seen it crop up
intermittently when the servlet works most of the time.

Keith F.

Posted on the users mailing list.