[plt-scheme] Make multiple attempts to open DrScheme join running process?

From: Todd O'Bryan (toddobryan at mac.com)
Date: Sun Feb 25 19:43:46 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 19:04 -0500, Eli Barzilay wrote:

> Which totals about twice the memory you actually have...  If you don't
> want thrashing, you should use a limit that corresponds to what you
> have.  A bit more might work when your users are not doing much, but
> twice the memory you have sounds unrealistic.
>

> > but Gnome, Firefox, and DrScheme wouldn't work with that. [...]
>
> Whoa -- you want 30 people to run Gnome, Firefox & DrScheme -- all on
> a single machine?  (I'd say that unrealistic is an understatement.)

Actually, the server is fairly beefy according to the LTSP people.

http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Server_Sizing

They suggest about 256MB + 50MB/client is sufficient to run Gnome,
Firefox, and OpenOffice, all at once. For my lab, that's about 1750MB
and I have 4GB.

And it really does work. I have classes of over 25 students using the
machines and both my AP classes and Special Topics class haven't had
problems running in the environment. AP uses Java with the BlueJ IDE. In
Special Topics, it's Eclipse, but they're using it to program in Python,
so, in addition to the Java memory footprint, there's a Python
footprint, too. And they're typically running four or five instances of
a Python webserver locally because they're writing a webapp. It's only
my intro classes, which are using DrScheme, that are having problems.

And there are hundreds of installations all over the country using the
same system, and they actually run multimedia software over the clients
successfully.

I'm saying all this because it seems like you're telling me that what
I'm asking for is completely unreasonable, and I assure you, it isn't.
It works, it really does. But something about my setup and its
interaction with DrScheme is not working well. I'm just putting it out
there.

Todd

Posted on the users mailing list.