[plt-scheme] Make multiple attempts to open DrScheme join running process?

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 25 09:58:07 EST 2007

At Sun, 25 Feb 2007 02:20:32 -0500, "Todd O'Bryan" wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 01:33 -0500, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> > On Feb 24, Todd O'Bryan wrote:
> > > As I've mentioned before, I'm running DrScheme in a thin terminal
> > > lab and have 30 students sharing one server.
> >
> > On a single machine?  I don't think that it's possible.
> >
> It really is: http://www.ltsp.org/
>
> I have one $2000 machine (dual dual-core Opterons with 4GB of RAM)
> serving 30 stations that each cost $130 (not including monitor,
> keyboard, and mouse). If you do the math, that's 30 stations for about
> $200 each. The set-up usually works pretty well, even when I have 20
> students all using Eclipse at once. Unfortunately, the whole thing
> breaks down when the system starts to thrash, and it's only been doing
> that, so far, in my intro classes where I use DrScheme.

How much memory does each DrScheme process use when the system starts
to thrash? Close to the initial footprint, or much larger?

Although we don't have much hope for dramatic decreases in DrScheme's
initial footprint, my guess is that DrScheme instances consume even
more memory --- a lot more memory --- after students use each instance
for a while. If so, that problem should be greatly reduced in the next
version.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.