[plt-scheme] Limiting the damage caused by infinite recursion

From: Todd O'Bryan (toddobryan at mac.com)
Date: Wed Feb 7 11:29:52 EST 2007

As I've mentioned before, I'm running DrScheme on thin clients, so all
my students run their programs on one server.

If a student writes an infinitely recursive function and doesn't realize
what they've done, their process eats up more and more memory until the
whole lab runs out of RAM, we start using virtual memory, and the whole
lab grinds to a halt until I can log in and kill the offending process.

Is there any way to set a limit on the number of recursive calls or the
amount of memory a function call can consume so that this doesn't
happen?

Thanks,
Todd

Posted on the users mailing list.