[plt-scheme] Smallest set of operators

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 2 15:31:20 EST 2007

On Feb 2, 2007, at 2:53 PM, Carl Eastlund wrote:

> I interpreted 'implement' differently than you.

That was exactly what I meant when I asked Paulo to read up on
expressiveness. The word 'implement' is so imprecise that the
question doesn't denote. Here are three meanings:

  1. implement = definable as a function/macro
  2. implement = definable via a compiler transformation
  3. implement = definable via an interpreter (with access to source
text)

Unless you describe 'implement' (technically the class of allowable
translations), you haven't done your homework. And btw, even if you
choose option (1), you are still in trouble because it is too vague.

Over decades people have random answers to this question without
specifying 'implement' only to discover (or have discovered by
someone else) that the answer is inconsistent.

-- Matthias