[plt-scheme] online version of _The Little Schemer_?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 21 08:07:28 EST 2007

On Dec 21, 2007, at 2:54 AM, Benjamin L. Russell wrote:

> Perhaps _SICP_ is a special case?  Other course books
> from the same publisher for other MIT OpenCourseWare
> courses are not necessarily freely available online.

 From what I understand, SICP is free because HtDP is free.
I put HtDP on the web from the very beginning. When my
editor asked whether we wanted to publish it with MIT P,
I said "yes, but only if we can keep it on the web in
some form." His reply was interesting: I had intended this
because we want to experiment with on-line books. Yours
will be our first big test case.

A few months after we published HtDP, Dorai Sitaram
who helped us put the book up sat down with Gerry and
put SICP on the web with the same tools. Curiously,
Gerry asked Dorai to remove the PLT/Slatex signature.
If you look at the source of one of the pages, you will
find it.

As for TLLT/TLS, Dan and I contemplated the idea briefly
when HtDP came out and decided that there wasn't much
to do. (I tend to follow Dan on these matters because
he's the original guy, just like HtD is my baby though
I couldn't do it with out the others.)

;; ---

Why is MIT P backtracking on these generous rights? They
believe that simultaneous on-line appearances of print
books kill certain sales. That's not a surprise.

I tend to view university press publishers as an important
component of the academic market. That's why I stick with them.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.