[plt-scheme] UW CSC Programming Contest (scheme supported)

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 1 09:57:33 EST 2007

This is cute. If you supported ACL2/Dracula, I'd say we'd send you a
version that is partially proven correct :-)

;; ---

Your wrapper code for Scheme with the remark

"
    ;; Note --- board and player locations are stored as pairs. The
pair (x . y)
    ;; is constructed using (cons x y), and if p = (x . y), the x =
(car p),
    ;; y = (cdr p).
"

reminds me of a talk that Guy Steele gave here two weeks ago, on the
origins of Scheme as an OO model btw. The talk was basically a series
of slides on interpreters. He started with a LISP interpreter for
first-order LISP and I almost didn't pay much attention when words
such as FIRST, REST, CONS, and EMPTY caught my eye. As Guy explained
his code, he pointed out that he was using modern words and then he
pointed to the environment implementation. He said an OLD LISPer
would now loudly complain that I am wasting a CONS cell because I am
representing entries (pairs) in the environment with (CONS variable
(CONS value EMPTY)). And then he smiled and said "And I'd reply,
memory is cheap. Just buy another GIG and get over it."

Enjoy your contest -- Matthias