[plt-scheme] The Lambda Calculus behind functional programming

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 30 11:04:42 EDT 2007

On 8/30/07, Corey Sweeney <corey.sweeney at gmail.com> wrote:
> I personally would tend to disagree with the idea of lambda calucus
> not being a good starting point.  (well, technically typing would be
> the starting point :) .  Why do you think it's not a good starting
> point?  Is it the lack of a good IDE?  (which by the way, i have a
> solution for ;) .   I would agree that paper and pencil is not a good
> way to start.  But for the motivated learner, I think that the lambda
> calculus with a few moddification could be a near optimal environment.
>
> What are other peoples thoughts?

If you mean beginning programmers, I think starting with the LC would
quickly demotivate them.  Show them some fun stuff first, then the
underlying theory.  Very few people come to a field to study it per
se, but rather to learn how to produce the visible end results of the
field.

N.

Posted on the users mailing list.