[plt-scheme] Perplexed Programmers

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 30 08:52:01 EDT 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 10:46 PM, Richard Cleis wrote:

> I argue that the first role of computer scientists in these cases
> is to convince leaders that established, rigorous strategies exist
> for developing data processing systems... and that these strategies
> are wasted if they are applied to disorganized activities.  Much of
> the discussion here has covered another role of computer
> scientists: developing programming practices for ensuring that the
> strategies are successful.  Please save me further embarrassment if
> I am wrong about these points.

The conversation has touched on both issues:

-- stemming the tide of 'idiot' books/leaders/claims i.e. the whole
idea that anyone can program with just a book on 'programming for
idiots' under his belt. It is an exaggeration that these are the only
'bad' guys who go for low-ball software, but it is the most visible
exponent.

-- plus developing improved ways on teaching good design and
spreading it. I don't think that we really know enough, though I
agree with SK here that we have improved tremendously in the last 40
years on this front. From nothing to a D-, at least.

So no, you're right. -- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.