[plt-scheme] The Lambda Calculus behind functional programming

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Wed Aug 29 14:43:06 EDT 2007

For me discovering Lambda Calculus (and combinatory logic) was fabulous in
itself. It is beauty.
Whether or not it makes you a better programmer. I am inclined to think so, but
I don't have any kind of evidence,
Anyway, when my friends ask me what I am doing these days, I have much trouble
making an understandable answer.
My conclusion:
1: Lambda calculus is not the starting point of learning programming, I think.
2: At some stage you wonder: what are the essential principles of programming.
3: At that point lambda Calculus may be an answer.
4: Wait for your students to ask the question before answering it
5: Not all of us can claim to be as clever as Socrates, but asking questions is
a good method to make your students ask the right questions.
6: I know I have failed on this many times
Jos Koot

((((lambda(x)((((((x x)x)x)x)x)x))
   (lambda(x)(lambda(y)(x(x y)))))
  (lambda(x)(write x)x))