[plt-scheme] Perplexed Programmers

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Mon Aug 27 05:12:39 EDT 2007

To Matthias
I don't think anyone or any particular isolated group is to blame for the
dramatic effects of the uncontrolled outburst of automization. If the teachers
are to blame, then may be their students as well?. If programmers should push
back against wrong devellopments in their company, students should push back
too, I think. When I said:
"IT science has done and is doing a great job and much of it has become
available as adquirable technical skills"
I was thinking of the study material now available, some of the greatest books
even for free. When I started studying physics and mathematics in the second
half of the sixties in Amsterdam (Netherlands) I even never had heard of the
word 'computer'. I had the luck to do practical work in a group housed in the
same building as a High Energy Physics group, that at that time had a CDC2400.
As we shared rooms, my group had free access to it too. The CDC2400 was one of
two computers in Amsterdam available for scientists and some privileged
students. But there was no teacher anywhere around, nor any textbook. My
professor at the institute did not have the slightest idea about computers (but
he was a good scientist in physics). I learnt FORTRAN and COMPASS and something
about hardware from CDC reference manuals. If your son's piano teacher is right,
my tone (and style) for ever must have been set in that time. That's not I nice
thought. I do not blame the University of Amsterdam for the lack of guidance,
though. May be eduction in informatics was not develloped as fast as it should
have, but there was now way the university could have held pace with the
explosion of demands for programmers and software devellopers, I think. I did
the impression, though, that some scientists and teachers did not regard
programming and software devellopment as a scientific art, but rather as a
technical skill that should be acquired elsewhere. Regarding it from the
perspective of that time, I do not blame the university for that.
Jos Koot