[plt-scheme] Perplexed Programmers

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 26 18:51:18 EDT 2007

My answer/question was a bit flip but it came straight from the heart
of someone who has taught freshmen a dozen times since 1992. The
"product" I get to see is so under-educated that I have to think that
the many many more billions that parents and taxpayers spend on
public schools are even more wasted than the $95M that the LA ISD
spent for a partially correct program.

In addition, I believe that the education of programmers is seriously
flawed, starting with how-to-code-in-24-minutes, on to high school CS
education, college and MS cash-cow programs. As my sons' piano and
saxophone teachers used to say, the first year sets the tone. The
habits that you pick up there dominate your internalization. (Some
of) those of us who have overcome this tone-setting experience are on
this list. We tend to be highly introspective people.

For specific failures like that, I tend to believe that both
programmers and managers are at fault:

* Thesis: Code has two users. The first are the ones who interact
with the program after deployment. The second are the programmers who
look at the code after it was created, read it, and modify it. This
happens during development as well as maintenance. I conjecture that
the concerns for the two communities are related. [

* Managers should represent both users. They are the feedback element
during the development cycle. They barely succeed with representing
the first group and are never educated enough to represent the second
one. Even though business programs teach discount and opportunity
cost and everything, managers just don't understand this point when
applied to software.

* Result: Code is considered successful if it kind of works for the
interacting community and is roughly on time. XP succeeds [more than
regular programming] because it replaces Managers with real Customers
during the development cycle and always focuses on feature
interaction. They thus get better trained programmers, just like
shops in the spirit of JaneStreet.

* Programmers should understand the issues, even if they can't do all
the business evaluations. If they see things going wrong, they should
push back. They don't.

* The people who could see it all are those who train programmers and
have a modicum of business sense. Or at least those who set the
curricula. This is where I lay the largest blame but it's a long-term
problem and could be seen if enough push-back from enlightened
programmers and managers came in.

[This whole thesis is the premise of my HtDP, HtDC, and HtDS; and the
last bullet is perhaps the reason why this is the case.]

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.