[plt-scheme] Extending

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 23 22:17:39 EDT 2007

On Aug 23, 2007, at 9:26 PM, Matt Jadud wrote:

> Hi Robby,
>
> On 8/23/07, Robby Findler <robby at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>> 1. Intercept the "Run" button press and do an additional action when
>>> it is pressed, and
>>
>> You want to override the execute-callback (also in the frame mixin).
>> But maybe what you want to do is better done another way. What are
>> you
>> trying to do?
>
> I would like to implement DrScheme so I can collect data about Scheme
> programmers in a manner similar to how I studied novice Java
> programmers using BlueJ. This involves catching their compile-like
> interactions ("Check Syntax" and "Run") and capturing the complete
> source of the Definitions window at that point. I may go further and
> try and record debugging interactions or test interactions, but ...
> for now, one step at a time.

You may want to see how often and how novices use the Stepper, too.
My impression is that teachers love it and use it for demoing the
behavior of programs. Students, however, use it only if they are
already good at the game. I haven't figured out yet why/what is
happening here.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.