[plt-scheme] GMT date stamps and time-zone-offset

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Thu Aug 23 15:24:45 EDT 2007

Time is an ill understood concept by itself.
First there is our own feeling that time is directed to which we call the
future.
Time is measured by counting cycles such as
- the daily cycle of the sun
- the yearly cycle of the midday highest angle of the sun
- the about montly cycle of the moon
- atomic or nuclear clocks (which count cycles too)
An ever reappearing problem is matching these cycles on each other, which it not
trivial, because a year is not an integral number of days nor an integral number
of mooncycles. Time is not the only subject of this problem. The same problem
arises in the theory of the harmonics of music. The octave is well defined, but
there is no multiple of quints that add up to a multiple of octaves. Musiciens
speak about adding harmonic intervals, but in fact adding two harmonic intervals
is multiplting two ratios of frequencies. For example: there is no couple of
integer numbers n and m such that (exactly) q**n=2**m, where q is the frequency
ratio of a pure quint (2/3) and 2 that of an octave and ** the exponentiation
operator.  (btw, a frequency of sound is measured by counting cycles in the time
span of a wider cycle, such as a second) Moreover: how do we define time or how
can we know that a pendule takes the same (abstract) time for every cycle? In
physics attempts has been made to clarify the feeling that time is directed to
future. Nevertheless all fundametal physical laws are symmetric under time
reversal. And whenever possible, physics people try to elimiate time from their
formulas.
In short: not understanding leap seconds is the beginning of understanding, or
at least appreciating the wonders of time.
Cheers, Jos Koot