[plt-scheme] Proposal for s-expr tracing format

From: Richard Cobbe (cobbe at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 13 10:01:38 EDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 09:34:27AM -0400, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> Question is whether you do want the parens closed. I like John's idea that
> an open paren shows control transfer.

John's suggestion has a certain appeal -- the missing parenthesis just
"feels right" to represent an abnormal exit from a function.

I'm not sure it's the right thing from a UI perspective, though.  Perhaps
the OP's proposed output makes this objection irrelevant, but I'd worry
that the missing close paren will get lost in the rest of the output --
especially since we keep telling our students that they shouldn't pay
attention to the parentheses!

Richard

Posted on the users mailing list.