[plt-scheme] Implementing web services

From: Isaac Raway (isaac.raway at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 8 19:10:24 EDT 2007

Hey guys. First post for me.

I am looking at creating a complex system which uses four main
components:

- Client side GUI
- Limited web based interface
- Web service
- Database

I would like to implement all of this in pure PLT Scheme.

The main thing I really need is some idea of how to implement web
services with PLT Scheme.

To clarify, this is different from the recent request for how to go
about generating a website. What I'm looking for is a way to
implement, say, a module, export some procedures from it, and have
those accessible through a stub object on the client side or directly
called by the view of the dynamic web interface.

I'd also like suggestions on how to handle data storage in a "Scheme
way".

I am, to put it bluntly, a novice Scheme programmer. I have been
doing software development for several years in lesser languages (any
basic, C++, Javascript, some Java, lots of PHP), but I consider
myself a *fan* of Scheme if there can be such a thing.

Any tips to get me going? Assume I can run the web server included
with PLT Scheme. My development platform is Mac OS X but everything
has to run on Mac, Win XP+, and Linux, which I don't think will be a
problem, just to note that's important for me.

Eventually I'll probably get into other requests when it comes to the
interesting parts of the application, but for now I just want to get
some basic web service stuff going.

- Isaac

Posted on the users mailing list.