[plt-scheme] Advice request: compiling mzscheme with icc?

From: Kyle Smith (airfoil at bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon Aug 6 16:03:26 EDT 2007

That's very encouraging.

What are the particulars; i.e., is setting CC=icc, and having icc specific
libraries in the environment variables icc looks for by default
sufficient, or do I need to pass these along as options to configure as
well?
I can put icc specific flags in CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, and indicate the libraries
in LDFLAGS, according to configure --help.  But I need to add the icc
specific
options `-parallel -xT', and suppress any -mcpu, -mtune or -march options
that configure might otherwise deduce from
MACHTYPE=powerpc-apple-darwin8.0 and HOSTTYPE=powerpc, which are
set by the OS, and which cause gcc to inevitably select for the lowest
common
denominator; e.g. i386.

I'm not sure why Apple declares the HOSTTYPE to be powerpc, when
it is in fact, an Intel Mac.  Despite this, configure always figures it
out, and
chooses the architecture as i386, but it never does better; i.e.,
recognizing
that the machine has the full compliment of MMX and SSE1 - SSE3
instruction sets.  In icc, all I need do is select -O2 -xT -parallel,
and that
seems to give the best results.  However, if I set CFLAGS='-O2 -xT
-parallel',
I'm worried that I'm going to override important Scheme options, like
-fomit-frame-pointer and such.  Will configure add necessary additional
arguments in addition to CFLAGS?  Also, I see how to disable or enable a
features, in configure --help, but I'm not sure how I keep it from using
incompatible CPU options, unless it only uses CFLAGS, and then I'm back
in the same boat, trying to figure out if I need to add other flags, like
-fomit-frame-pointer.

Maybe I'm making too much of this, but obviously I'm a bit confused.

Clarification would be helpful.

Thanks,

--kyle