[plt-scheme] web programming, continuation, CPS transform, etc.

From: Yin-So Chen (yinso.chen at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 19:21:24 EDT 2007

On 4/30/07, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> As far as we are concerned, the exploration of continuation in the
> context of interactive web programming was our primary motivation to
> do research in this area.
>
> We have done other things for the web server, but I wouldn't consider
> them 'research.'
>
> CPS and ANF are general topics, only coincidentally related to the
> web server.

I see - if continuation is *the* way - then perhaps "serializable"
continuation (so another web server instance anywhere on the network can
load it "cheaply" and resume computation) would be the path toward
scalability ;)

> > (just my 2 cents) From a practitioner perspective, AJAX does
> > provide some simplifications in web development, but also
> > complicates the structure of the code especially in situations
> > where one needs to handle both ajax and non-ajax capable browsers
> > (while few desktop client suffer from this issue today - more
> > mobile clients are on the rise).  Code duplication is huge in such
> > cases and I am still searching for a good abstraction... ;)
> >

> Good topics for research. Keep pushing -- Matthias

I certainly will - these problems are dear to my heart too.

Thanks Matthias,

yinso

--
http://www.yinsochen.com