[plt-scheme] require planet packages, latest version?

From: Jacob Matthews (jacobm at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 30 17:06:23 EDT 2007

Hi ---

The PLaneT client keeps two caches: an per-mzscheme-minor-version
"installed packages cache" that contains unpacked, compiled versions
of your code, and a single "uninstalled packages cache" that contains
raw .plt files. The idea was that planet would have a backup .plt file
to unpack and compile in case you upgraded your mzscheme (say, from
SVN update) and then tried to use planet packages on the train or a
flight or something where you didn't have internet access. When I
initially implemented this, the search order was (1) installed
packages cache (2) uninstalled packages cache (3) internet. This meant
you only went online when necessary, but in practice it seemed that
people would rather have planet check online by default and only fall
back to the uninstalled packages cache as a last resort. So, I changed
it to behave that way, but I suspect I hadn't yet done so in version
360.

In any event, you'll get the behavior you expect if you remove the
package from your uninstalled packages cache; the command-line utility
planet -e will do that for you.

-jacob