[plt-scheme] Web server consuming much memory and slowing down with use -- some benchmarks.

From: Daniel Yoo (dyoo at cs.wpi.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 25 01:53:19 EDT 2007

> Why is such a simple servlet causing so much memory consumption?  If I
> understand the situation correctly, since we aren't using send/suspend
> and the start function is running to completion, we aren't causing
> hordes of continuations to be held on the server.  We're also seeing a
> similar pattern (but topping out at 100 meg of memory) just from serving
> static files from the /htdocs directory.

Hi Ethan,

Do you see the same behavior when running a prerelease version of
DrScheme?  The current release, v360, still uses the conservative garbage
collector (CGC) by default, and memory leaks can happen under CGC:

     http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2004-January/004287.html

Recent prereleases use the 3m collector by default now. It's possible that
the 3m collector will address the situation you're seeing. You can find a
prerelease packaged here:

     http://pre.plt-scheme.org/installers/

For more details, see:

     http://download.plt-scheme.org/chronology/mzmr369.4.html