[plt-scheme] the "[" as a parenthis charactor

From: Corey Sweeney (corey.sweeney at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 22 23:53:13 EDT 2006

Of course drscheme dosn't use ssh stdin/stdout :)

I'm refering to the idea that we are creating a new keybinding standard, and
if it takes off, and people who edit using emacs want to use it, they will
have to choose a differnt key.  It'll essentially make it harder for people
to use drscheme some of the time and emacs some of the time.  It dosn't
matter much at the moment, but I wanted to bring it up before people got
used to something.  (note: I for one use emacs for plt progams whenever I
can't load the graphics interface of drscheme. (like i'm in via ssh, or I
don't have X loaded on a webserver)

Corey

On 9/22/06, Richard Cobbe <cobbe at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 02:48:30PM -0500, Robby Findler wrote:
> > At Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:43:37 -0500, "Corey Sweeney" wrote:
>
> > > A note, something other then control-[ might be desirable as control-[
> is
> > > "escape".  If the rest of the world decides to follow along, this can
> cause
> > > problems with editing from a terminal emulators/ssh, and especially
> emacs as
> > > most of it's commands start with escape.  Alt-[ seems to be already
> bound
> > > for something.
>
> Will this actually be a problem?
>
> As far as I know, one cannot run DrScheme within a terminal/emacs/ssh
> session.  More precisely: one can certainly type 'drscheme' within a
> terminal/emacs/ssh session.  Once DrScheme is started, however, the user's
> keyboard input doesn't go through the terminal/ssh but rather through the
> X/VNC/whatever connection.  Most of those protocols generally pass
> keystrokes like C-[ through without any difficulty.  (I'm ignoring
> bindings
> of C-[ in your window manager and similar situations, as one cannot expect
> apps to work around those keybindings.)
>
> If the *mzscheme* REPL did this, then problems could arise, but it doesn't
> appear to treat C-[ specially.
>
> Richard

((lambda (y) (y y)) (lambda (y) (y y)))