[plt-scheme] File upload problems

From: Dave Gurnell (d.j.gurnell at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 22 06:41:06 EDT 2006

[ This kind of follows on from the thread: "web-server with a single
servlet" ]

Dear all,

I'm having problems uploading files over HTTP to the PLT web-server:
   - files seem to take a very long time to upload (although this may be
     a networking issue)
   - sometimes file uploads fail altogether with an error message like
     "connection reset by peer"

Looking through the logs for my software, I've found a number of
exception traces like:

bytes=?: expects type <byte string> as 1st argument, given: #<eof>;
other arguments were:
#"-----------------------------11479027812035015474368800899"

=== context ===
/usr/local/plt/collects/web-server/private/request.ss:231:11: read-
mime-part-body
/usr/local/plt/collects/web-server/private/request.ss:247:17
/usr/local/plt/collects/web-server/private/request.ss:247:17
/usr/local/plt/collects/web-server/private/request.ss:247:17
/usr/local/plt/collects/web-server/private/request.ss:247:17
/usr/local/plt/collects/web-server/private/request.ss:247:17
/usr/local/plt/collects/web-server/private/request.ss:137:2: read-
bindings
/usr/local/plt/collects/web-server/private/request.ss:20:5
/usr/local/plt/collects/web-server/private/request.ss:17:2: read-request
provide/contract-contract-id-read-request
/usr/local/plt/collects/web-server/dispatch-server-unit.ss:73:10:
connection-loop
/usr/local/plt/collects/mzlib/thread.ss:93:45

which I assume are related to the above problems. It looks to me like
the connection is timing out and the request data is getting cut off
in mid-stream (hence the exception).

I eliminated the mod_proxy factor mentioned in my previous email by
sending the file upload form directly to the web-server on its own
port: it's all Scheme code handling the data.

Has anybody else seen something like this? Does anyone have any ideas
of how to stop it?

Many Thanks,

-- Dave

PS - I am using PLT 352.5 with the LRU continuation manager. The
whole thing is installed on Debian Sarge with the stable package tree.

PPS - I am in the process of collecting more data from users (browser/
OS types, file sizes, precise symptoms, and so on) to see what
patterns I can spot.