[plt-scheme] loading libraries into memory with ffi-lib on osx

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Sep 7 00:53:41 EDT 2006

On Sep  7, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> At Wed, 06 Sep 2006 21:47:34 -0400, Jon Rafkind wrote:
> > Do you mean ffi libraries should always bundle the native library
> > on osx( and other os's )? Right now I depend on foreign.ss being
> > able to find libz because I don't bundle it. On OSX( and *NIX) it
> > always seems to be in /usr/lib. If libz happened to not be there
> > in osx, but some crazy place like
> > /Library/Youll/Never/Guess/To/Look/Here/lib would the better
> > solution be to look in the directory of the planet package?
>
> I think you can rely on libz being in place for Mac OS X. I don't
> know about other platforms.

There are probably a bunch of such libraries that you can rely on (and
are always found at the same place), and a bunch that can be easily
installed if not standard (and again, found at some known place).
It's the same as Linux (replace "same place" by "found by the standard
.so search process") and Windows (with less available libraries, as
usual).