[plt-scheme] idiom for 'self'

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Tue Sep 5 10:55:14 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthias Felleisen" <matthias at ccs.neu.edu>
To: <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com>
Cc: <plt-scheme at list.cs.brown.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: [plt-scheme] idiom for 'self'

> On Sep 5, 2006, at 9:19 AM, hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:

>>> `this'.
>>
>> A conventional, but inconvenient choice dating back to C++. I  believe..
>> When you want to mention 'this' in comments, you run into ambiguity
>> between its use as 'self' vs its use as an ordinary English word.
>> 'self' would have been a better choice.
>
> We noticed and keep noticing. Then again, it is much easier to  formulate
> correct english phrases with 'this object' instead of the  'the self
> object'.

How about 'the object itself'? (just kidding)
Referencing is not trivial., particularly self-referencing. (I think Quine
wrote about that)
Changing the specs of a language is a struggle between progressive and
conservative views (I use the word 'view', not the word 'person', for they
are two different things/persons) Anyway, I think the struggle is a good
filter (in general).