[plt-scheme] cutting and pasting snips

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Oct 17 19:49:55 EDT 2006

On Oct 17, Robby Findler wrote:
> I find it frustrating that you want to cripple drscheme because your
> automatic grading script are written poorly. Still, if you wanted to
> do that, you could make a tool that would do so. You'd add a mixin
> to the definitions window that overrode on-insert and rejected
> insertion of non-text. I don't think we'll be doing ourselves that
> in any future release.

[In my course I need text files too -- that's not for running
subsmissions etc, it's for tools like automatic grading scripts, and
creating html files with the graded work, as well as the convenience
of Emacs for mass editing jobs.]

> I'm sure this has come up before, but can you remind me why you
> don't want to use scripts that work with such graphics? (Note that
> writing your scripts in drscheme and using `mred' to run them should
> make it easy.)

One thing that came up is converting media files to text.  I posted a
script a while ago.  The script is still in the same place:

  http://tmp.barzilay.org/wxme-to-text

(It does not do a complete job -- some snips have no obvious textual
rendering, so you can get text files that do not work as programs.)