[plt-scheme] Continuations

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 14 20:00:26 EST 2006

At Wed, 15 Nov 2006 04:03:28 +0530, "Akhilesh Mritunjai" wrote:
> 1. Does PLTScheme use a C stack or a stack of its own for scheme
> programs, specifically for continuations (saving and resumption
> thereof) ?

It uses the C stack, although this is largely hidden from the outside
(e.g., there are no visible stack overflows).

> 2. Lets say I have a particular program running in two instances of
> PLTScheme runtime (R1 and R2). I am looking to advice and conceptual
> issues associated with an attempt to serialize a continuation in R1
> and later deserialize in R2 and invoke it.

As you no doubt expect from the answer to #1, MzScheme's implementation
of continuations is not well suited to this task.

I think others have worked on transforming programs (by CPSing and
making free variables explicit) to support serialized continuations,
but I'm not sure of the details.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.