[plt-scheme] disk-based associative array

From: David Richards (vottamusic at verizon.net)
Date: Fri May 26 12:54:30 EDT 2006

> I've got the same requirements, but haven't found a good solution so
> far. Last time I tried the SLIB database in DrScheme it was broken.
> Moreover, as far as I remember the *disk-based* database was an
> extension for SCM only. SLIBs simple a-list db is in-memory.

As far as I can understand it SLIB has a disk-based associative array
that allows 256 bytes keys and values.  I need blob values -- and
perhaps even longer keys, depending on the hash function to be used.

I'm not about to get into the 'relational' mess in SLIB.  It's way too
complex for my needs.  I'm not even sure it will work.

And in response to another reply, yes, essentially the requirements are
the mostly same as a file system.  However I wish to potentially store
tens of millions of variable sized objects.  The 'reiser file system'
looks interesting, but I'm not sure I want to tinker with the file
system at kernel level on my Mac OS X system.

I've been taking a look at distributed hash tables, but that doesn't
seem right either for my current needs.

I'd love to find a simple C program for a disk-based associative array
that stores fixed length keys and variable length values.  I could port
it to scheme fairly quickly I think.

> It would be nice to have an Mzscheme interface to Metakit
> <http://www.equi4.com/metakit.html>.

If wishes were code, programmers would sleep.

Best regards,

Dave

> Best regards,
>
> Erich